As I head into spring, I always try to bear in mind my list of garden don’ts…
- Don’t put the compost pile next to the greenhouse. The rats and mice go straight from the compost to the greenhouse, where they devour everything in sight.
- Don’t plant so many zucchinis. No. I mean it. One zucchini plant can feed a small village. Just don’t do it.
- Don’t put the pumpkins near a path. You don’t need to do anything to them until long after all the other crops are finished, so tuck them away from heavy traffic areas. Otherwise, they’ll take over your paths. Same goes for potatoes, melons, and broad beans.
- Don’t take zucchini to every social function you attend. See point number 2. Even your friends can’t eat all that zucchini.
- Don’t plant corn where it will shade the tomatoes.
- Don’t freeze your extra zucchini. See point number 2. If you must freeze zucchini, grate it first, and don’t freeze more than what you can use in two batches of zucchini bread.
- Don’t plant horseradish. Anywhere. For any reason. It’s fine if you love horseradish. But don’t plant it. Get it from a friend who made the mistake of planting horseradish once ten years ago.
- Don’t save extra zucchini in the fridge. See point number 2. There will be more tomorrow, and you won’t eat the ones in the fridge. Get a pig or goat instead and feed the zucchini to it.
- Don’t water before you weed. It makes for unpleasant working conditions.
- Don’t worry. Your local food bank probably accepts zucchini.
4 thoughts on “A List of Garden Don’ts”
I SO need this. Although I’m curious about the horseradish!
LikeLiked by 1 person
You’ve obviously never planted horseradish. It’s a terrible weed. Absolutely impossible to get rid of once you’ve planted it somewhere. I put a horseradish in the vegetable garden 11 years ago, just for a month until I got its permanent home prepared. The patch of horseradish I fight with now in the vegetable garden is at least 5 square metres in extent.
For the past 2-3 years I cannot get zucchini to grow in my garden. I wish I had someone to off load to me!
Don’t tell me that–you might find a large truck pulled up outside your house one day…;)
LikeLiked by 1 person